What Is Spiritual Direction?
- It is the process of accompanying people on a spiritual journey.
- It is helping people explore and deepen their spirituality.
- It is the “contemplative practice of helping another person or group to awaken to the mystery called God in all of life, and to respond to that discovery in a growing relationship of freedom and commitment.” (James Keegan)
- It is, “in reality, nothing more than a way of leading us to see and obey the real Director — the Holy Spirit hidden in the depths of our soul.” (Thomas Merton, Trappist monk, USA)
- “It is easier to describe what spiritual direction does than what spiritual direction is. Spiritual direction helps us learn how to live in peace, with compassion, promoting justice, as humble servants” of God. (Liz Budd Ellmann, MDiv, Executive Director, Spiritual Directors International)
- Spiritual direction is a time-honored term for a conversation between two people in which one person consults another, more spiritually experienced person about the ways in which God may be touching her or his life.
I am a certified spiritual director with a passion to walk alongside people seeking spiritual, emotional, and relational wholeness. Meeting once a month one-on-one, I create a safe space and develop relationships that enable directees to become more aware of God’s presence and movement in their lives. This enables them to grow in their own discernment of God’s leading and to deepen their intimacy with their creator. Trained at the Spiritual Director Institute at Mercy Center in Burlingame, California, I offer once a month sessions by Skype, telephone, or in person in my Felton office. Contact me for a free consultation (831) 335-1265 or email@example.com.
“Spiritual Direction provides time and space for focusing on my relationship with God. Being able to verbalize my thoughts and feelings in an environment of grace and acceptance allows me to see, sometimes for the first time, what has been there all along-God, who is big and loving enough to use and work through my weaknesses… Spiritual Direction has helped me to let go of my need to feel in control, and instead, to stand with open hands in front of my loving Father to receive what he wants to give me.” ~Directee
For more information about Misa’s spiritual direction services go here